Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Machines

 Snowblowers That Start


The snowblower wouldn't start recently, and as it turned out, it was because the gas I used to fill it, had some water in it. Before it would start, I needed to drain the gas out using, of all things, a basting tool, sucking up a little at a time.

Two years ago, this snowblower stopped running after about 45 minutes. Aa it turned out, a defect in the engine permitted a drain oil drain plug to work itself loose, draining out all the oil, until the engine seized. I bought a new engine and had it installed.

I realized, even before this happened, I have a sneaking suspicion that engines will not start, and this goes back to a place that I can't remember. I love engines and anything with a motor--lawn mowers, motorcycles, scooters-- but I am not surprised when these things don't work for me, and always suspicious, as if it is just a matter of time before I am betrayed by this engine.

There is nothing quite like the magic of a working snowblower. Without it, there would be hours of work shoveling the snow away from the barn doors and keeping a path to the barn for hay or delivering grain. I think about the gas that is used, and I am always amazed at the amount of work a quart of gas can do. I also think about all of us jsut starting our snowblowers and living our lives in such a way that we just use a quart of gas, instead of considering other, alternative ways.

For now, this winter, at 57 I am just grateful that the new engine starts nearly every time I pull the starter rope, and it is easy to replace the sheer pins when they snap off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment